Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Washington, DC: Thursday

When I awoke on Thursday morning, I thought I would be listening to the conference sessions and helping in whatever ways were needed, but little did I realize what surprise was in store for me that afternoon.

Around mid-morning, Miriam came to me and Debbie and asked if we wanted to take a walk in the neighborhood surrounding the conference center.  So we donned our jackets since it was a bit cool and set out on foot for an outdoor excursion.

It was another beautiful day!  As we strolled up and down through the hilly side streets, the crisp air and blue skies overhead reminded me of our annual family visits to my grandmother's house in Alabama during the Thanksgiving holiday.  And the neighborhood itself looked like hers, too.  We were amazed with the houses as well as with the landscaping.  We even discovered a holly tree - yes, probably at least 6 feet or taller!  Only a little snow would have made the picture more stunning.



We hadn't returned to our room but ten minutes when Miriam called me and asked if we would be interested in spending the afternoon at Mt. Vernon.  I was startled by the idea since I did not have any expectations of visiting Washington's home during this trip, but ever since I had toured the house and plantation with my family more years ago than I can remember, I had always longed to return and see it again.  So you can only imagine my delight with this new plan!

We quickly changed out of our suits and dress shoes and into something more comfortable, pulled together a picnic lunch to eat in the van, and headed out to Mt. Vernon.  We first had to make an emergency run to a Jos. A. Bank to buy Matt a tie since he failed to pack any for the entire week (a first - and hopefully the last - I believe!).   While there, Miriam discovered she didn't have her wallet or license with her.  So while she raced back to the conference center to retrieve those necessary items, Debbie and I walked several blocks looking for that CVS we knew we had seen during one of our many drives around the same huge circle looking for an available parking space.  We finally did locate it and made our necessary purchases before Miriam picked us up and we were finally on our way to Washington's home.

Oh, I will never forget the sight!  I thought I would never see it again.  The home of the first president of the United States - right there before my very eyes.  I was beyond delighted!


We went on the tour of the mansion, much of which I didn't remember from my first visit during my young teen years.  Perhaps my favorite view was looking out over the Potomac from the back porch - George Washington's favorite place to relax as well.  It was so calm and peaceful.  




More holly trees!


Time did not allow us to explore the gardens or walk all the way to the place where George and Martha Washington are buried, but we did try to snap a few pictures together before leaving.



We drove back to the conference center in the usual horrible DC traffic (it took us 2 hours to go 17 miles), but it had been a wonderful afternoon!  I am indebted to my very special friend for making a dream of mine become a reality.

No comments: