Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Wisdom's Words: Speaking to Your Heart

Do you ever speak to your heart?

I find myself so easily overwhelmed by thoughts, conclusions, emotions, and responses that are contrary to the ways of God.  This is the essence of the spiritual battle we daily face, but so often I fail to remember that God has not left His people defenseless.  He has given me the most effective and powerful weapon mankind has ever known for fighting the attacks of the Enemy, and that weapon is the Word of God.

I must learn to employ the power of the Word.

One practical application of this is speaking to your heart.  Psalm 15 directly addresses this matter in these words:  O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent?  Who shall dwell on your holy hill?  He who…speaks the truth in his heart…"

Several years ago when I read this passage, God impressed upon my heart the following truths:

1. What does this person do?  He speaks – that is, he subdues the inward anguish and turbulence that no one can see.  It is not a half-hearted mumble but a convincing reproof that defies emotions and faulty conclusions. 

2. What is spoken?  He speaks what will give him firmness and stability.  This is not his own words or reasoning, another person’s wise words, or even hopeful dreams or fantasies.  It’s truth, reality – it is the Word of God.  It dwells within him richly so that it governs the core of his life.

3. Where is the truth spoken?  The heart.  It is internal, meaning it is not visible to anyone else.  He is not preaching to others or before huge audiences.  He is talking to one – to himself- whose heart is before God Almighty.  It is a hidden often silent work which profoundly impacts one’s life and influence on others.


And what is the result?  “He who does these things shall never be moved.” (v.5)

The Word provides stability and produces an inward strength that cannot be shaken.

When I'm unstable or feeling tossed around by life and all its challenges, suffering, and trials, all these things should be a gentle reminder to me of my duty to employ the weapon of the Word and speak the truth to my heart.

No comments: