Saturday, September 14, 2013

September Bike Ride


Ever since I had biked the Monon Trail with a friend of mine earlier this summer, I had wanted to take some of my family members there to experience the beauty of the trail with me.  I wasn’t sure if that would take place before the winter, but a free weekend for Kathy came up this Saturday, so we decided to spend the afternoon biking.  An added plus was that I just purchased a brand new bike on Thursday, so I was able to ride it for the first time on this trip!

Few people know that Dad was an avid cyclist while in college and just after he was married.  He would spend hours not only cycling, but also conditioning his bike, taking it apart all the way to the ball bearings.  He had to put this hobby aside when God gave him children, and his bike has been stored in our attic all these years.  Well, when he heard that we were planning this bike trip, down came the bike – and he spent all of Saturday morning making the necessary repairs so that he could ride with us. We enjoyed having him come along, and it was nice to have an expert with us when Kathy managed to shift her chain right off her bike!

It was a beautiful day, and we enjoyed a lovely ride from 96th Street up to 163rd Street. Kathy loved the hills—mostly going down them. J 

Here are a few pictures from the outing:



Here’s my new bike and Dad’s antique. J



Can you tell all three of us are in this picture?   Kathy requested I take my sunglasses off after this realization. 



It was a fun afternoon, and we hope to plan another outing soon.

No comments: