Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Testimony of God's Grace

Our church website has a page devoted to our members' salvation testimonies.  A few weeks ago, I decided to re-write my own in a format suitable for this purpose.  You can find it here, but the text also follows below.



God’s blessing and grace have been evident in my life since my earliest days.  I was born into a family with parents who loved God and shared a desire to raise their children in the fear and knowledge of God.   My sisters and I grew up in an environment where we were daily taught about Jesus Christ and His work of redemption on the cross, and my childhood days hold sweet memories of learning what it means to love and obey Him.   God worked in my heart and opened my eyes to see my need for a Savior at a young age, and I placed my faith in Christ when I was around seven years old.

My life since that time has never been the same as God has used His Word, experiences, and people to further His sanctifying work in me and make me who I am today.  My teen and young adult years in particular have been spiritually rich as God has shaped me through the trials of life.  Psalm 119:71 says, "It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes."  Learning to fully trust God's goodness, love, and wisdom have been hallmarks of spiritual growth and depth for me as God has continually brought me to the end of myself in order to strengthen my faith and open my eyes to see Him for who He truly is.  It has been through heartache and sorrow that God has given me what I have needed the most:  a deeper understanding of His faithfulness and an unshaken confidence in His promises.  I praise God for this work and thank Him for giving me above and beyond what I could ever ask or think.      

My friends and pastors from Second Reformed Presbyterian Church have also held a significant role in my spiritual growth as they’ve challenged me in Bible study, offered opportunities for ministry within the church and surrounding community, encouraged my interests and pursuits, and most importantly, called me to live a Christ-filled, Gospel-focused life.   It has been a great privilege for me to be part of the staff at Second Reformed Presbyterian Church the last eight years and see first-hand how God is building His church, and I look forward to continue serving here as long as God allows.

No comments: