Monday, February 9, 2015

A Holy Love

Around this time of year when society highlights finding "love" and the commercial industry is all about chocolate, flowers, and precious gems, I sometimes catch myself beginning to wallow in discouragement that God has not yet blessed me with the gift of marriage.  Though I know Valentine's Day is a man-centered, annual event that completely misses what God commands we practice on a daily basis in all relationships of life, this commercialized holiday does at times snag my heart when I realize that one of my greatest desires remains yet unfilled.  "This holiday fluff - it's all a joke!" my mind reasons.  But inwardly my heart argues, "I wish I had someone..."

 I have to confess that the daily battle in submitting my desires to God's wisdom and will has at times been so wearying.  But it has been through this refining process that God has taught me some of life's richest lessons.  And for this Valentine's Day in particular, he's given me a different perspective that has helped to transform my desires into an appeal for a holy love.

Love Defined

One question I have had to ask myself recently is this:  "What is love?"  The world wants me to believe its lie that it is all found in what it touts as important:  self.   But Jesus' definition of love - and the love to which he binds all his people - is this:  "...that a man lay down his life for his friend."  Love is selfless and sacrificial.

And Jesus has done just that for his own.  He demonstrated the epitome of love in dying for the sins of the elect.

In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him...Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.  
-1 John 4:9, 11

Love Experienced

As I was contemplating this truth recently, it suddenly dawned on me in a fresh way that I have indeed been pursued and loved by One in a way that far surpasses what any human, intimate relationship can ever offer.  Jesus Christ died for me.  His blood was shed for me.  He met the requirement of a holy and just God and now lives again interceding on my behalf as the great High Priest.  Is there more that need be done to prove to myself that I am loved?

Furthermore, his love is perfect, a love that is completely selfless, wholly pure, and everlasting in nature.  This is the love of God.  I did nothing to gain his love, and I can't do anything to forfeit his love.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?...No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.  -Romans 8:35, 37-39


Love Pursued

These truths sound so simple, and yet they are so profound.  As I meditated on them week after week and grew to recognize and appreciate the absolute beauty and preciousness of what I have been given in and through Christ, my heart was led to pray, "Father, help me love you more."

I believe that the more one fully grasps the depth and significance of God's love for them the more they will intensely desire to pursue their Savior and the things that are of utmost importance to him.  This means devoting time to prayer and personal communion with him.  It means seeking the Kingdom (Matthew 6:33) and investing in what is of eternal value.  It means loving his people, the Church.  It means sharing his love with a dark and needy world.

As I wait on the Lord to fulfill my desire for the gift of marriage, I need to pursue with earnest zeal the love with which he has loved me.

So as the world tells me that I need chocolate or flowers or a diamond ring to feel loved this Valentine's Day, the Scriptures call me to contemplate the sacrifice of Christ, to thank him on bended knee for the greatest expression of love mankind will ever know and to ask for grace to follow in his steps - and to love him more.

I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore, I have continued my faithfulness to you.
- Jeremiah 31:3 -


No comments: