Monday, February 2, 2015

Winter Activities

It's hard to believe that February is already here!  In many ways, I am happy that we are halfway through the winter.  It is normally around this time that I grow stir crazy from being cooped up indoors day after day.  I am more than ready for long walks and bike rides, playing baseball with the kids, and gardening again!

It has been fun, though, to spend Saturday evenings with the kids and find creative ways to pass the time.  This past weekend we had fun with dress up and blocks.


While his sisters were upstairs either getting all pretty or taking a bath, Benjamin went to work like an engineer and built an impressive tower.  It was amazing to watch his mind work in overcoming problems in design and making it better!  He was quite pleased with the end result.  I thought it looked like a castle - certainly something I could not have built myself!


Essie also had her turn in building.  I was so surprised when she called me over and showed me her masterpiece: "Look!  It's the statehouse because of the dome on top!"  Can't you see the resemblence?


I happened to forward this picture to Matt Barnes since I knew he would appreciate it as much as I did.  He asked if he could share it on social media, and today he informed me that it was quite popular - 77 likes and 5 comments!  :)


It's also fun to have your nieces and nephew teach you things.  I recently spent an afternoon down at Laura's house so that Essie could show me how to decorate a cake with homemade fondant.  I really enjoyed myself, even though I had to spend at least a half hour or more trying to wrestle with the fondant and stretch it enough to cover the cake!  We eventually had to call in some reinforcements (Ben) with muscles who informed me that I needed to be a little bigger like him.  Something must have gone awry with the recipe, but we were eventually successful.  Sure made for lots of smiles and laughs!




So here's a little of our winter activities.  There's nothing more special or rewarding than spending the days with people you love.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Wow Benjamins tower is quite impressive. Essie's Statehouse is quite creative. Essie's hand writing is really good for an 8 year old.