Friday, March 27, 2015

The Last Week

Well it has been a remarkable week for me!  On Monday morning, I had no clue of the unique opportunities that lay just around the corner.  I was anticipating the annual Indiana Leadership Prayer Breakfast on Tuesday, March 24, 2015.  As in previous years, I was privileged to design the program, sponsor insert, and name tags for committee members, and was looking forward to attending the breakfast with Dad.

On Monday afternoon, I received a phone call from a friend inviting me to attend the Indiana Leadership Prayer Breakfast Committee Reception and Dinner at the Governor's Residence that evening.  Now that's an invitation one can't turn down!  I had never been to the Governor's Residence before - much less been a guest of the Governor and First Lady - so it was with great excitement as well as apprehension that I found myself driving down Meridian Street later that day.  I soon discovered I was in for a real treat.

It was a lovely evening in a lovely setting with a lovely (and remarkable) host and hostess.  I so enjoyed being introduced to Gov. Pence and sharing some conversation with his wife.  They both warmly welcomed me and the other sixty guests there and were obviously more than pleased to have us in their home.




Since Matt Barnes is the chairman of the Prayer Breakfast Committee, he directed the dinner's program which included remarks and prayer from the Gov. & Mrs. Pence, brief introductions from all sixty guests, and a short address from the Prayer Breakfast's keynote speaker, Randy Lewis.


Perhaps the crowning event for the entire evening was joining hands and bowing our heads in prayer, asking for God's blessing and direction on the activities to come the following morning.


 And then the big day came!  There were around 700 guests who attended the breakfast, including our Lt. Governor, Speaker of the House, and numerous state legislators.


The programs and inserts I designed were at each place setting.



To me this last picture is priceless.  It truly is remarkable that the state of Indiana has a Governor and First Lady whose faith and love for the Lord is so clearly visible.  I have a new respect for Gov. & Mrs. Pence and sincerely appreciate their conviction to hold to what's true in an environment with tremendous pressure and at times hostility.  May God raise up more leaders like them for this nation.

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Thank you for sharing this. Considering all the attacks that have been directed at Indiana and the Governor over the past week I am sure that these events helped greatly to prepare him for the personal attacks that he had to endure as the head of the state. Thank you for all the hard work that you put into the preparation for this event.