Monday, August 31, 2015

Another Year of Grace

Well, another year of grace has come and gone for me and Kathy.  Thirty-three years of God's goodness and faithfulness.  As I look back upon the past, my heart rejoices in God's guidance and marvelous provision.  As I look into the future, my heart rests in the knowledge that he who has begun a good work in us will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.

It has been a different birthday with 600 miles between us, but how grateful I am for technology!  The ability to all FaceTime together this afternoon was indeed a most wonderful gift.

Knowing of the unique circumstances this year, I am thankful for all those who made conscious effort to make it a memorable birthday for me and Kathy.  Our family and friends in both cities made us feel loved and special.

Here at home, Laura and family (with all her precious kiddos), Dad, Mom, and Rachael all gave me a wonderful birthday celebration, beginning this past Saturday and continuing to today!   The table decorations for our Saturday night party were so fun with their bright, cheery colors, and I loved the flowers from Ben & Laura's garden, which Essie and Benjamin carefully cut and arranged for me.



Rather than a traditional baked treat for dessert, I settled on ice cream sundaes (or frozen yogurt sundaes), which proved to be a big hit!  Toppings included crumbled brownies, chopped Snickers bars and Reese's Pieces, almond M&M's, regular M&M's, crisp M&M's, granola, and chocolate syrup.  It sure is fun to go all out one day a year!


I also opened a few presents, which is always more enjoyable to do with little helpers. :)


Today (our actual birthday), a friend came over and walked on the Monon Trail with me for a couple of hours.  And then over the lunch hour we were able to FaceTime with Kathy as I mentioned earlier.  Mom and I spent the remaining afternoon hours shopping together and then preparing my second birthday meal:  tacos (with fresh salsa) and blueberry crisp.

I also received a steady flow of birthday emails, text messages, and cards.  The big surprise was the mail this afternoon:  a stack of envelops all addressed to me in beautiful calligraphy with notes and cards from each of my precious nieces and nephews.  Laura amazes me!!!  Even with all she has going on, she still makes time for her sisters.


So yes, a wonderful celebration with many special memories.  I'm grateful for the people God has put in my life and for the blessing of friendships!

1 comment:

Nathan said...

Happy Birthday, Jenny and Kathy! I know that I am a day late! It looks like you had a great birthday!