Monday, January 20, 2014

One Year Ago

On January 18, 2013, I began my "God Gifts to Me" journal - a compilation of both the little and big things God does for me.  My blog post from August 1 gives the background behind starting this little journal.  At this time last year, I asked the Lord to give me eyes to see His goodness and cultivate in me a heart of gratitude.  I purposed that for one year, I would daily write down one gift I saw the Lord give me that day.  As I indicated in my August post, this discipline was quite difficult at first because my vision needed to be re-adjusted during a time when life was full of challenges.  But even against all odds, I sought to write, and day-by-day as I pondered and wrote, I began to see the goodness of God in even the smallest blessings of life.

Now in my possession is a great treasure, one that I will cherish for the rest of my life.  I am so grateful that God led me to begin this discipline!  It has truly transformed how I think back at the end of a day.  And even in the course of a day, when I recognize a tangible expression of God's goodness, I'll immediately tell myself, "This has to go in my God's gift journal."  My eyes have been opened and my thinking transformed.  And I have a most precious record of God's faithfulness and love that is memorialized for generations to come.

Yes, I have reached my goal of one year, but inspiration bids me continue.  Why stop recording what God does for me?  It only takes a minute to pause and write, but what is penned has a far-lasting impact on the soul of the one who reviews and gives thanks.

But I will hope continually and will praise you yet more and more.  My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge.  (Psalm 71:14-15)

1 comment:

BRelliott said...

Absolutely love this idea!